Sunday, January 11, 2009

city life letter

To whom it may concern,
The city, like every other kind of habitat has its pros and cons. The views of a person will decide if the pro outweighs the cons or vice versa. For me however I have no choice to live here. I would like to own my own farm down south where it is quieter and raise my family but we have yet to gather enough money for transportation not to talk of a land lease. My husband was killed in a mining incident. Ever since, I’ve been working at the Louisville glass factory, molding glass. This is sufficient to keep me and my two girls from starving. Women from higher class look at me like I am filth. I know why; it is because I work and I don’t have a man taking care of me. This brings me down; the only thing that keeps me going is the look in my little girls’ eyes. They tell me how proud they are of me and that is all I need to keep me going. It is hard to sleep at night. We live in a tenement below a train station with four other families. The kids play together like siblings and the adults give a helping hand when they can. I have to be thankful of the people I live with because others don’t have it as nicely as I do. The ones who live in the tenement next to us fight daily over everything. Factory work is tiring, and one has to be extra careful handling the substances. The work I do is to mold the glass which means I have to work with extremely hot equipments. This is dangerous to my life if I am not careful for we don’t have adequate safety measures. This doesn’t stop me because I have to provide for my family. The streets are always dirty and the air seems always to be filled with noise. There is hardly any clean water; disease runs rampant in search of a host’s body. There is little I can do to protect my little girls from any sickness. There is no money for a drugs and definitely no money for a doctor. However there is a good side to the bad. Where I live we are like family we share the income and provide for each other. We teach each other our culture; we even mix it together to create new traditions. I teach my children all that I know so they can become strong and survive anything.

1 comment:

ch@n3l w3s1 said...

Thanks todun. Your letter is nice too. Its all proper and more professional. Mine sounds lie its a hooker looking for a quick buck.