Monday, October 27, 2008

"Ain't I a Woman?" vs. "Aren't I a Woman?"

"Aren't I a Woman?" is the retold version of "Ain't I a Woman?" This is a speech given by Sojourner Truth at a womens convention. Both versions of the speech has it's pros and cons. "Ain't I a Woman?" has authencity and orighinality because it was written in the exact words of the speaker. Also this version gives a sense of interaction between the speaker and the audience. However the diction is hard to apprehend if one isn't used to that sort of diction. For example sojournes says "ober" rather than "over". This makes it difficult ofr the reader to understand. "Aren't i a Woman?", the retold version, on the other hand is more wordy and modern-like. It has more of a flow in it and easer to understand. However because of this it lacks authencity and originality. Also ht reader gets a false tone. It also decreased the sassiness and sarcasm of the speech.

No comments: